Home Improvement

Sometimes I just can’t stand this Abuja. The streets are wide, the drainage is good, the street lights work just fine, the landscape is easy on the eye and yes it’s not nearly as chaotic or dangerous as Lagos and all that but sometimes I just loathe this Abuja because as I was saying to a friend recently this town is simply soul less. The impersonal nature of the city, which inevitably rubs off on its inhabitants is too much for me.
First of all the cost of housing means no one wants visitors (they may just graduate into squatters!). Thankfully there are exceptions like my most gracious hosts of close to 2 years, from when I started living here. Secondly, the high cost of living has ensured that the milk of human kindness has run dry in everyone a long time ago. The cosmopolitan nature of the town just totally takes away the sense of community and that in my opinion contributes to the destruction of society's fabric. Social outings are more about business people softening up potential clients than fun and there seems to be a generally accepted presumption that everyone is a millionaire.
As I sat in the co-pilot's seat of a bus on my way to Wuse2 from Karu, I read something by an anonymous philosopher, emblazoned on the back of the bus directly in front of me, which summarized my thoughts very aptly. It simply read "no brother in Abuja". Proof if you needed any, of the profundity of simplicity.
Maybe I should just go to Kaduna for the weekend.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts