The good, the bad and Sir Alex!


For those who do not follow football, all this talk of Manchester United, Arsenal fans, Chelsea etc can be downright exasperating! I sympathize with you. And just when you thought you could breathe a sigh of relief following the conclusion of the football season, I had to extend your suffering by writing about football! Permit me to offer the proverbial ‘thousand apologies’ even as I crave your indulgence to request that you kindly read this through. It’s not really about football sef. Ok fine, it largely is.
This season is over and Manchester United are champions again. I tried to be bitter by way of being true to the Liverpudlian heart that beats inside my chest, but somehow I just couldn’t. I mean, we made obvious mistakes; they thoroughly deserved it. In all it was an interesting season, no surprises there. West Brom Albion went down (again!) They’ve been going up and down over the last 7 – 8 years, much like a stock market investors’ blood pressure! Once more, Arsene Wenger tried to win the premiership with an “Olympic” squad. By mid season he was running for 4th spot. Mike Ashley was a study in “How not to run a Football Club”, which he crowned by appointing a managerial tenderfoot whose best qualification was being a “toon icon”, to stave off relegation. Still at St. James Park, it was heart rending to see Michael Owen go from being one of the world’s most lethal sharp shooters to a plastic water gun. What a terrible shame. But applause to Wayne Rooney and Steven Ireland: they matured rather nicely, especially Rooney. Gone, the zealous neophyte with a fiery temper, enter the responsible, dependable professional. I have so much more to say but where is the space? I can’t talk about Roy Hodgson’s excellent work at Fulham and Gareth Southgate’s fatal Riverside mediocrity or Guus Hiddinks heartwarming avuncular disposition as against Cristiano Ronaldo’s girlish tantrums. (It was pleasing to see Mr. Hiddink pose with the FA Cup by the way)
If I could I’d have raised several hearty cheers for ‘the triumph of the little guys’ as both Hull and Stoke City stayed up. Yes Hull City had to limp across the finish line but hey, look who didn’t make it! Rafael Benitez must be overjoyed that I don’t have more space. Honestly did he actually think he was going to play mind games with the patron saint of mind games himself and win? The result of that fiasco is now history. And then Rafa had to gripe, groan, whine and moan and un-graciously refuse to congratulate Sir Alex when the title was won and lost. How utterly childish is that?
I cannot end without paying tribute to a super coach, the grand old man of the premiership, a legend - an institution really – in English League football. Take a bow Sir Alex. While there were a few blips along the way (losses to Liverpool, Fulham. . .) there were great moments too (incredible comebacks vs. Villa and Spurs!). I pray that my team wins the League some time soon; still I cannot but wish Sir Alex a couple more years of fruitful living. I also have to pay a mini-tribute to the gentle giant who served faithfully and was Mr. Dependable himself in the Liverpool defence for years on end. Thanks Sami Hyppia, Godspeed. . .
Another off season is here, the buying and selling and anticipation of the chance to try again. I told someone that the new season will be 2 weeks old by my birthday and she said I’m football mad. Tell me something I don’t know! I’ll survive till then on warm memories like the rich vein of form that saw us collect illustrious scalp by 4 goals each - Man Utd, Real Madrid and Aston Villa – in quick succession. Oh soccer, how I thirst for thee!
Even so, come Season of 2009/2010.

Comments

  1. Great analysis of the premiership with a humourous twist..

    ReplyDelete
  2. stumbled on your blog via omonaikee's....u do have a way with words man.. fellow Liverpool fan here by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts