If at first you don't succeed. . .

I have been wearing ties since my 300 level in the University, when my Commercial Law lecturer decided it was a good idea to basically arm twist us into wearing them (if threats of being thrown out of class and/or losing marks is not arm twisting you tell me what is!). It wasn’t my first stint with them (as my earlier birthday and “ring bearer” pictures testify) but that was the time it became regular and I never looked back since. As a result of the foregoing, I have seen many a tie in my day – all sizes, shapes and colors of them but despite all of that and after these many years I had a problem with my tie this morning and just could not get it right.

For some reason I just could not arrive at the desirable length! It was like being on a prank TV show of some sort where someone was mischievously adjusting the tie to counter my efforts; at first it was too short so I lengthened it but then found it was too long and therefore adjusted it to make it shorter only to find it was too short. So I lengthened it a bit but it turned out that I had over done it and I had to reduce the length small. . .I’m getting dizzy please, you get the picture don’t you? I took so long getting it right that when finally I was leaving the bathroom (which has a very adequate wall mirror) the security guys sitting in the corridor gave me funny looks. Who can blame them? I can only imagine what they think of my wife’s cooking now. As long as they don’t voice their opinions we’ll all be fine. Anyway, I really didn’t care what they thought cos I was reveling in the joy of having gotten my grooming right! The smile on my lips revealed my satisfaction and my easy gait evidenced my relief at having gotten it right at last!

Yes, to be sure, I am going somewhere with this.

I woke up to the news that today is a good day to be Senegalese, the people of Senegal having demonstrated the timeless truth that “where there’s a will, there’s a way”. I do not say that the way will appear overnight as Senegal’s longsuffering people will testify, but no matter how slowly it will surely appear. I’m not a total idiot so I know that it is often the case especially in Africa, that the hype and anticipation of change is the highest point and most factually beneficent part of the whole party but let them enjoy it. I mean, who knows if Macky Sall will turn out to be another Seseseko or Amin or Abacha? But they had the guts to go for it so they deserve to enjoy the euphoric energy, the relief of achieving what is at the very least an opportunity to try again. I know some of you (undiscerning and unkind as you are) will say it’s a stretch but the connection between my story about being ”tied up” (no pun intended)and the Senegalese ballot box bulldozer is the perseverance, the moral being “never give up”. We have tons to learn from this as Nigerians; perhaps if it were us many would never have gone back for the run-off, following the negatives that marred the first round of voting and I suspect quite a few would have said “its no use, they will just rig it” and so on. The party may end tomorrow but today is a day for reveling!

If I could be Senegalese for a day I would chose today (and I already have the complexion for it!) but I can’t so I make do with the fact that we both have exhibited the qualities of resilience and dogged determination to overcome our challenges – albeit mine a more trivial mere item of clothing compared to their geriatric autocrat. I hear Jimmy Cliff singing:

“You can get it if you really want 2x

But you must try, try and try, try and try

You’ll succeed at last!”



Nigeria do you hear me? We shall overcome someday!



Congratulations Senegal.

Comments

Popular Posts